Traditional Valve Amplifiers And Stuff!
  • My thoughts of file systems and valve amplifiers go back to pre-33rpm; when our dad had a big assortment of 78s. I remember he had a power record player (very posh!) and by its side lived a little b...

If you are like me you will love old stereo gear, particularly valve amplifiers. Some may say milestone companies such as Leak, Quad, Thorens, Garrard, Shure, SME, and so forth, who made an effect on the growth of Hi Fi (does anyone call it these days?).

When our dad had a sizable assortment of 78s my memories of record systems and valve amplifiers go back to pre-33rpm;. I remember he had an electrical record player (very posh!) and by its side resided a small package. Within this box lived needles they certainly were consistently changed every eighth record. Father kept a pad by the record player and everytime it was performed the pad on he'd make a!

With the introduction of LPs in to the house, the gear to play them also changed. For additional information, please consider peeping at: http://markets.financialcontent.com/fatpitch.valueinvestingnews/news/read/34111620. First, dad bought an HMV valve amplifier/radiogram - needless to say but before too long he changed this for individual stereo items.

The initial set-up he bought in the late 1960s consisted of:

Plus amplifier; Leak Sandwich 600 Speakers are Leaked 30 by thorens TD150 record deck; SME 3009 Series 11 Tonearm; Shure V15 cartridge;.

I'm very proud still to possess Plus Amplifier to the Leak 30. I also still have the original appearance and brochure which came with it! The design of training within it is like heading back years!

Dad (as men do!) gave his cast-offs to me when he updated, so I continued to utilize his Leak stuff for a period of time like the excellent Leak Sandwich 600 Speakers boy did they sound good? Unfortunately I dont have the speakers anymore.

Over the years some of my friends bought Quad device amplifiers which at the time were way out of my selection! However it did plant the seeds of interest, and around ten years ago I was luckily enough to obtain an un-molested set of Quad 11 valve amplifiers & Quad 22 get a handle on uni-t. Many people in the 80s thought it good to Modify them somewhat of advice if you want a set of Quads, do not buy any such thing but unmodified material. The others have already been destroyed.

A year ago I bought a pair of Quad ESL-57 electrostatic speakers from E-bay unseen and untested. I am very happy to say like lots of people on EBay the vendor was a genuine person and I now own an excellent set. Browsing To http://business.minstercommunitypost.com/minstercommunitypost/news/read/34111620/Best_Heating_and_Air_Celebrates_Fifteen_Years_Of_Service_In_the_Quad_Cities_Area likely provides lessons you could give to your uncle. They're perhaps not yet operational as we are in the act of some serious restoration work in our house and when finished I will possess a Listening room particularly for my Hi Fi. Ill keep you updated with progress!

So now my system consists of:

Thorens TD125 Mk11; SME 3009 Series 11 tonearm; Shure M75ED; Quad 11 mono blocks; Quad 22 get a handle on unit; Quad ESL-57 speakers.

Currently I am applying Tannoy Mercury Speakers theyre good through the Quad 1-1 valve amplifiers mind, I do ask them to on a pair of good quality stands makes a world of difference.

The Quads are likely to the Quad service department for a well-earned recovery therefore Ill keep you updated with the restoration..

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!